For Your Consideration

Pickle Juice: The Champagne of Vinegar.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Gum Rubber

These Northern Saw Whet Owls are the cutest of all owl. I need one.
________________
Tonight I thought about the possibility of becoming a pediatric dentist. I would call myself Dr. Gum Rubber.
________________
I had a horrible dream last night:
I was in some sort of vacation home with Michael, we were getting ready to go somewhere. I was about to take one last look in the mirror and my mouth felt kind of funny. My reflection was horrific. The entire right side of my face was swollen. I opened my mouth and my bach three molars were loose and the gums surrounding them had become enormously swollen. The flesh was bright mottled red with infection. I tongued one of the teeth and it fell out. I screamed for Michael to take a look. He looked inside, didn't seem to concerned, removed my back molar and suggested that we be on our way. I yelled "What about the other tooth?! This is NOT NORMAL!" No one seemed to care.
________________
Also had a horrible dream the night before last:
I was in the mountains at a resort. I had been soaking and floating around in a large, hot, mineral pool. There were many people I didn't know around me. While I was floating I was texting with Michael. I decided to move to the side of the pool so I could get out and I asked a stranger to put my phone out of the way so I wouldn't get water on it. He promptly set the phone down in a puddle of water on the side. It was slow motion..."Nooooooo" but it was too late. He felt bad and put my SIM card in his phone but his blackberry was antiquated and I didn't really know how to use it. Suddenly my leg had a sharp pain in it. The guy in the pool said, "You're bleeding!" I looked down. Sure enough, there was blood running down my leg. Someone else said, "You've been shot!" I looked at the back of my leg. Yep. Shot. I started putting pressure on my back upper thigh to keep myself from bleeding out. By now a crowd was gathering. Another person was putting pressure on two other bullet holes on my calf.
Suddenly my mom comes around the corner. She quickly realizes what's going on and puts her hand in to apply pressure too. By now, my sister is there too and all I can think to do is have her figure out the antiquated blackberry and text Michael to tell him that I will not be in contact for awhile. Out of nowhere, I see my dad coming around a corner, arms flailing wildly like a zombie, making severely autistic noises and running at me. Mom said, "Oh no! What a time for him to wake from his coma!" and went running over to strap him in his bed.
Someone had called 911 but because of where we were in the mountains, the ambulance could not make it. So we were all riding on a trolley into the city. I knew I was dying. I asked my sister if she'd gotten hold of Michael. "No, but I tried to call Grandma. I knew she'd want to come to the hospital. But her phone has been disconnected. I thought it was weird to I called Aunt Pati and she said Grandma moved to Wisconsin." "Wisconsin?! Why wouldn't she tell anyone?" Caitlyn then began to unravel it all, "Do you think this might be a dream? Grandma wouldn't move to Wisconsin and she would definitely tell people if she did." I said, "Yes. It must be a dream. Dad got up from a coma and ran at me like a zombie! Dad is dead. He only gets up in dreams."
Then someone walked on the trolley holding a baby that was apparently mine. We'd arrived at the hospital and they were taking the newborn baby in for observation and I knew I was going to die.
Thank God I woke up then. I couldn't have handled much more weirdness.
________________
Tonight I came home from work, climbed into bed and slept from 6-9pm. Upon awakening, I got up and made dinner (edamame) and now I'm back in bed. Sometimes you just have to give in to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Dream #1: I'm sorry you lost your teeth, Dr. Gum Rubber. You could also specialize in geriatric dentistry and have the same name.

    Dream #2: That was terrifying. But I'm really glad that I am your subconscious' voice of reason. I mean, really. I consider it an honor to be the only one to really keep my cool.

    ReplyDelete