For Your Consideration

Pickle Juice: The Champagne of Vinegar.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

What squirrels do

In class last week, we were discussing the life of squirrels. About 12 students had shared things like "They eat nuts", "they run fast", "they have big tails", "I saw one hide under a car", etc, etc.

Before I share the next part, I must tell you about the student that said it. Her name is Aaliyah. She is SUPER shy, SUPER quiet, SUPER adorable, but prior to this had said about 1 word and that was in a whisper voice.

Aaliyah raises her hand (I'm excited. She's got the nerve to share something. I know she's listening, she's gonna talk!!!!) and I call on her. In a quiet voice that no student seemed to hear she says "They fart in your face." I'm stunned. I want to burst out laughing. She's deadpan. She's not smiling. She's waiting for my response. I ask, "What?" With the same expression and volume, "They fart in your face." I'm still stunned. I still want to laugh. In my best teacher voice I say, "I don't think they do that and I don't think that's a nice thing to say. Can you think of something else they do?" She couldn't.

I've got my eye on her...

1 comment: