For Your Consideration

Pickle Juice: The Champagne of Vinegar.

Friday, July 30, 2010

I'm clever but...

I can't even make this up.

Tonight, while returning home from MD via Metro, some crazy things happened.

I had a short, quiet wait at the Friendship Heights stop on the red line. The train took me to the Gallery Place/Chinatown stop with no real events to speak of. It was while I was waiting on the lower platform for the yellow line train that my night took a turn for the paranormal. The sign said 18 minutes until the yellow line train would be there so I took out my phone and started playing word mole. I began to hear loud voices. This is common on a Friday night, especially at this stop, so I chalked it up to annoying teenagers and continued playing. The voices kept getting louder and more aggressive. People around me were getting uncomfortable. Everyone was trying to see what was happening. I paused my game and took a step forward. There was a crowd of black teenage kids swarming around each other, yelling and causing a scene. I still didn't think much of it. 6 more minutes until the train would arrive. It got louder still. I looked up again and saw hands in the air and heard "OH, SHIT!" and saw punches being thrown. The crowd scattered, leaving only the kids in their tussle. One kid got thrown onto the tracks of the train. He immediately jumped back on the platform and was ok. The train came a minute later and I heard the loudspeaker just as the doors opened, "Security to the lower level. There is a fight." This struck me as funny. Shouldn't they have a code word or something?

Just as I thought my night was going to calm down, SHE stepped on the train. You know, HER, the crazy cat lady. Mid to late 40's, frazzled hair, bright green sandals, 3 bags that all seem to be spilling out papers with cursive scrawled on them. I made the mistake of looking her in the eye, as I do everyone. It's my way of showing that I'm not intimidated by anyone. She mistook my "I ain't skeerd of you" look for "Hey, why don't you sit down here and take a load off. Do you have any cat stories for me??" She broke the sacred public transit silence by smacking herself in the head and saying "Damnit, I got the wrong papers." She began shuffling a stack of papers, showing me I don't even know what. "I meant to get the other reports but I got the wrong ones. I can't go back tonight! I have to have this done by Monday!" I really didn't know how to respond. I felt my cheeks flush. I shrugged my shoulders, "You didn't really want to work on the weekend anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment